Academic Year of Fall 2018 - Summer 2019
Overview and Purpose of the Program
The College of Business (COB) is committed to global awareness and cross-cultural educational experiences. The cost of such experiences is often a significant obstacle for many students. Thus, COB offers a COB Study Away Financial Award of $750 per eligible student who participates in select MSU approved study away programs. Both the program and student must meet eligibility criteria stated below.
Program Eligibility Criteria
Short-Term Program Eligibility Criteria
- Eligible programs, which must require international travel, and include:
- COB short-term faculty-directed (STFD) study away programs.
- MSU summer courses offered by COB on the Dalian, China campus.
- Short-term programs offered by external providers or exchange programs that are pre-approved by COB International Business Programs (IBP) and the MSU Study Away office.
Long-Term Program Eligibility Criteria
- The program must be approved by Study Away Programs, IBP, or Study in China programs as a credit-bearing program lasting a minimum of one semester.
- Coursework in the program must apply to the student’s COB program of study and must be sufficiently rigorous for MSU to accept transfer. The student must obtain documentation of pre-approved credit transfer prior to departure, but some minor adjustments might be allowed after course registration is completed.
Student Must Have the Following:
- Academic program within COB:
- Undergraduate students must be declared MSU COB major. The COB major can be a second major. A minor in COB is not sufficient. Or:
- Graduate students must be admitted to a MSU COB graduate program, which may include an accelerated master's program.
- Completed Credit Hour* and GPA Requirements:
- Undergraduate business majors must have 60 earned credit hours in advance of the travel portion of the program, and must have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA and 2.5 GPA in their business major.
- Accelerated master's students with a COB undergraduate major must have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA and a 2.5 GPA in their business major in advance of the travel portion of the program. Or, they must have completed at least three credit hours in COB graduate coursework and have at least a 3.0 GPA in their completed graduate business coursework in advance of the travel portion of the program.
- Graduate business students must have completed at least three credit hours in their program of study and have at least a 3.0 GPA in their completed graduate business coursework in advance of the travel portion of the program.
- No student may receive more than one COB Study Away Financial Award during the same academic year.
- No student may receive more than two COB Study Away Financial Awards.
- Students employed as Graduate/Teaching Assistants on the Dalian, China, campus are not eligible for the COB Study Away Financial Award while located in Dalian.
- Students who do not participate in all program activities (pre, during, and post travel) will forfeit the COB Study Away Financial Award.
- Students who violate behavioral or other program expectations and requirements will be ineligible for any future COB study away awards.
- Students with an XF grade are not eligible for the COB Study Away Financial Award unless the “X” has been removed prior to the travel portion of the program.
Students are responsible for paying the entire program fee by the posted deadline, and must only reduce the payment by the amount of the COB Study Away Financial Award if the award has posted to the student’s MyMissouriState account prior to the fee payment deadline. The award may post after the deadline as a credit to the student’s account.
* Credit hours and GPA requirements are based on earned hours completed prior to the travel portion of the program, and will be evaluated together at a common point in time. Specifically:
If travel begins in December or January, students will be evaluated on their earned credit hours completed and GPA at the end of the previous summer semester or they may request a re-evaluation after fall grades are posted.
If travel begins February through April, students will be evaluated on their earned credit hours completed and GPA at the end of the previous fall semester.
If travel begins May through August, students will be evaluated on their earned credit hours completed and GPA at the end of the spring semester. However, if travel begins after the entire MSU summer semester concludes, a student may request a re-evaluation after summer grades are posted.
If travel begins September through November, students will be evaluated on their earned credit hours completed and GPA at the end of the summer semester.
Grades and credit hours for intersession, block classes, short courses, etc., even if completed prior to the end of a semester, will only be considered as of the end of that semester.